Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mommy


4 little kids.
That's what I have now.
When I was 21 years old I had my first baby.
I was the oldest of, well depends on how you look at it, but how i look at it I was the oldest of 8.
(now I'm the oldest of 13, but that's an entirely different story)
Anyhoo, back on track.
I didn't want kids in the first place, let alone any more.
I actually asked the Dr. to tie my tubes after I delivered Kielee,
yeah that wasn't happening. "you have to be 25 or have 3 kids for us to even consider" they told me.
So, within the last 4 years, I have gained 3 more children, and I believe I have really become a mother. I may have given birth to a child at 21, but I was still a child myself in so many ways.
Over the last 4 years, I have realized that a mother, is so much more than just a mother.
My mom, Is and always was, more than just a mom.
Cook, maid, teacher, chauffeur, nurse
A mother is the glue that holds a family together
A mother holds the responsibility of always being watched by her children, as an example for what they are to become.
She's always the one you call when your hurt weather your 3 or 30 she always will be
A mother is a student, as much as she is a teacher.
She's the disciplinarian, with a heart so soft, you find her apologizing even when you deserved it.
She threatens, empty threats, just to get 1 freaking minute (or 30 seconds) of peace and quiet.
As I've gotten older
My mother has become my friend. There are so many things, that while I was growing up, I didn't realize would hold such impact and such importance that I learned, inadvertently from my mom.
Now as my friend I realize my mom is not defined by being just a mom. She is a great friend. She's funny, and quirky, and beautiful. She's smart and shy and she has hopes and dreams and goals.
Now that I am a mom, I know that while I may not know what I'm doing, and I may make mistakes, my values, and the strength of family, the closeness that me and my siblings share, my strength, is all life lessons that I learned with the help of my mom, weather she meant to teach it or not.
As I look around at my sisters, (who are the only ones besides me that are mom's)
I see that we all love our children so much.
We all get frazzled, and stressed out, and overwhelmed
just like our mom did
but we are all good mothers.
And that didn't come from nowhere.


Thanks Mom, however you did it :)

Love Me!

This has been a part of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop


No comments:

Post a Comment